RECYCLED. UPCYCLED. NATURAL
At Bobo Choses, we have always been responsible for our social and environmental footprint. We strive to create friendly products for our environment and continuously improve our production processes’ sustainability. What we’ve done until now makes us really proud. But being proud is never enough.
For the last two years, we’ve been working on a special innovation project to expand our overstock materials’ lifecycle and push the limits of what we have achieved.
Thanks to research, development, and innovation, we have managed to create a permanent collection made with recycled, upcycled, and natural materials that rescues the most iconic and beloved prints and patterns in the brand’s history. A delight for Bobo Choses lovers.
THE ICONIC COLLECTION
The Iconic collection brings together the most popular prints and shapes since Bobo Choses was born in 2008. The collection debuted with the famous Apple, Cloud, and Chapeau prints, and has been recently reinterpreted in our Bobo Choses x Klein Blue special edition.
The Iconic Collection represents our brand’s most timeless essence, a gift for all Bobo Choses’ fans worldwide.
The collection is the result of 2 years of innovation. We’ve managed to turn manufactured clothes from old collections as well as used cotton into a pulp that we convert into new fibers to create yarn and fabrics.
Part of the Iconic collection reuses materials and threads from past collections to create new products. We donate all the scraps generated at the production stage to a local recycling and reuse foundation.
We have started using natural dye, which is up to 400 times less harmful to climate change than conventional dyeing, and all the products involved in the process come from natural sources.
The collection is the result of 2 years of innovation. Long story short: We’ve managed to turn manufactured clothes from old collections as well as used cotton into a pulp. Then, we convert the pulp into new fibers to create yarn and fabrics for brand new clothes.
We’ve been working on a special project to expand the lifecycle of our overstock materials with the Waste Agency of Catalonia, TecnoCampus Mataró, Inèdit Innova, and Hallotex-The Loop. We have managed to turn manufactured clothes and used cotton into a pulp to convert into new fibers for yarn and fabrics. And here’s how:
The fabrics eligible for recycling come from different origins: remains of obsolete materials, yarns, discarded fabrics during the cutting and manufacturing process, garments or articles already used by the consumer… At Bobo Choses, we started with obsolete organic cotton fabrics using this process:
• We crush the fabrics until a cloud of fibers appears.
• We mix it with new organic cotton fibers.
• We comb them until a long ribbon appears.
• When the ribbon begins to twist, a new thread appears.
• With this new thread, we start the process of creating a new fabric.
Thanks to this process, we reduce water and CO2, besides other harmful impacts related to the textile industry.
Know more about ↓
Although we make an accurate forecast when we buy fabrics to avoid overstock and produce what we sell beforehand, part of the Iconic collection reuses materials and threads from past collections to create new products. That’s something great to prevent excess waste. After this, we donate all the scraps generated at the production stage to a local recycling and reuse foundation.
• We have now reduced an 8% of our stock by shredding fabric, giving it a new life as new products.
• Denim and striped fabrics are 100% reused from past collections.
• We are reusing the leftover organic cotton yarn from past collections, including it in the design and production process in this current collection and the upcoming ones.
• We have carried out strict quality tests to guarantee all fabrics and products with a third-party certification provider, Aitex.
Know more about ↓
A great step for Bobo in this Iconic Collection is that we have started using natural Dye. Naturdye is a natural and sustainable textile dyeing process. All the products involved in the process come from natural sources, and it’s up to 400 times less harmful to climate change than conventional dyeing. All products used during the process can return to their natural environment without any alteration.
This new process adds even more innovation to our strive for sustainability: GOTS-certified organic cotton as the primary fiber in our collections, more sustainable fibers such as ecovero viscose, recycled polyamide, recycled polyester, and LENZING™ Lyocell.
We use dyes that have less water consumption and as sustainable as possible. Colors using natural dye are German green earth, Wildlife Sienna, Scorched Shadow and colors using reguare dye are Viola , Denim Blue, Kaki, Rosebloom, Smoked Pearl, Scorched Sienna.
Due to the natural dyeing process, each garment could have a different tone variation that makes every single product special.
• 70% less water consumption during the process.
• Low-temperature dyeing, means less energy consumption.
• Reduced CO2 footprint.
• We don’t generate toxic waste.
• Colorants’ origin is mainly vegetable and mineral.
Know more about process and materials certificates ↓
JERSEY AND FLEECE
• Each garment contains at least 20% of recycled fabrics and organic cotton. However, we are always working to increase this percentage. We ask for external certifications to evaluate the materials.
• Jersey exclusively reuses fabrics from past collections.
• Fleece trousers with knee pads made of denim reused from other collections.
• It reuses threads from past collections as the primary material.
JERSEY WITH ELASTANE & SOCKS
• GOTS-certified organic cotton as the primary fiber.
• These fabrics count on the same quality as always in all Bobo Choses collections.
• It reuses fabrics from past collections as the primary material. In this first collection, the fabric used contains 21% pre-used cotton.
BOBO CHOSES AND YOU
Once you have a Bobo Choses garment at home, there are a few things you can do to promote the lifecycle of the clothes.
• Take good care of them, following the instructions for each type of garment.
• Give the clothes to friends or family, or donate them to NGOs and Foundations.We always design and manufacture our clothes thinking about durability and heritage. There’s plenty of options for you to choose from. You can give the clothes to friends and family, you can also donate them to the dozens of organizations that help other families in need, the ones that recycle textile items, or you can also resell it or exchange it in second hand markets.
• Buy less, but better. That’s a critical factor in making the world a better place. If we all buy quality products with fair textiles, under proper labor conditions, environmentally friendly produced and locally made, we won’t need to replace clothes that often.
PUTTING A SMILE
ON EARTH’S FACE SINCE 2008
Besides the Iconic collection, at Bobo Choses, we have always been responsible for our social and environmental footprint. We strive to create friendly products for our environment and continuously improve our production processes’ sustainability.
• We like to replace conventional materials with more sustainable ones that have a lower impact on both nature and human health.
• We support our local manufacturers and learn from their know-how.
• All of our suppliers comply with our Code of Conduct, and our garments are free of nickel and chromium.
• Besides, we run different action plans to address carbon, water, and waste reduction. Until today, we have reduced our carbon footprint by 7.4% and our water consumption by 30%.
Photography by Lucho Torres & Júlia Quintana.
Art direction by Adriana Esperalba
Style by Duygu Massol.
Hair & Make-up by Sara Cela.
Style Assistant Marc Leal.
Models are Aaron, Aina, Andreu, Aniol, Laila & Sora.